Draft Agenda: “Trust, Advertising and Data Privacy — Seeking a New Balance”
Advertising and consumer privacy in the digital marketplace
January 15-16, 2019 in Brooklyn, N.Y. | Two Metrotech Center |
CONVENING GOALS & DISCUSSION TOPICS
Review the current state of privacy and ad fraud to develop new approaches to consumer privacy, data management and ad transparency
- What online privacy and advertising practices currently used by local media are creating a barrier to trust and should be eliminated or modified? RESOURCE: Consumer Bill of Rights Checklist
- What practices not in general use today could be adopted to build trust?
- What is the impact on publishers and journalism of eliminating third-party data collection without specific user consent?
- What advertising practices that degrade the user experience should be discouraged?
- What is a “moonshot” idea to deal with these challenges?
Possible solutions for discussion:
- Communication between sites and their readers
- Greater cooperation with browser providers
- Certification program for advertisers based on reputation and practices
Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2019
1:00 pm Welcome
- Fran Wills, Local Media Consortium CEO | Jo Ellen Green Kaiser, ITEGA Board Chair | Larry Strickling, The Internet Society
1:15 pm Agenda and Ground Rules | Facilitator: Larry Strickling, ISOC
1:30 pm PANEL: What problems are we addressing?
- Moderator: Michelle de Mooy, privacy consultant
- Local Media: Chris Hendricks, President, LMC
- Consumers: Justin Brookman, Consumers Union
- Advertisers: Dr. Augustine Fou, Marketing Consulting Science Group
- Technologists: Don Marti, Mozilla
2:15 pm Who’s in the Room and Why? | Facilitator: Jo Ellen Kaiser, ITEGA
- Participants are invited to share what they bring to the gathering and what they hope to learn
2:45 pm BREAK
3:15 pm Group Discussion to Determine Privacy and Advertising Priorities | Facilitator: Larry Strickling, ISOC
- Utilize Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights and ad fraud research as discussion points
4:15 pm Breakout: Organize topics for Wed and dinner discussions
5:00 pm Wrap up | Facilitator: Fran Wills, LMC
Dinner on your own. Dinner discussions are encouraged!
Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2019
8:30 am Continental Breakfast
9:00 am Opening Remarks | Facilitators: Larry Strickling, ISOC | Michelle de Mooy, LMC
9:30 am Group Discussion: Requirements of Model Consumer-Focused Privacy and Ad Transparency Practices
10:30 am BREAK
10:45 am Group Discussion: Gap Analysis–How close do existing local media privacy and ad practices come to meeting the ideal model?
11:45 am Group Discussion: How Can We Close the Gap?
12:30 pm LUNCH AND BREAKOUT
1:30 pm Group Discussion on Closing the Gaps
2:00 pm Group Discussion: Moving Forward
- Is there consensus to continue meeting to develop model privacy and ad transparency practices?
- If so, what process should the group follow?
- How open or public should the discussions be?
- Are all important interests represented in the group?
- Who else needs to be invited/recruited to participate?
- What work should start now in small groups?
- When should we schedule the next meeting?
3:00 pm Keynote speaker TBA: Why This Matters
3:30 pm Wrapup and Next Step Commitments
4:00 pm ADJOURN — Reception
NOTE: Speakers and schedule subject to change